Saturday, May 9, 2009

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

A couple of weeks ago Mike and Lauren came over for a quick visit. Wednesday night at about 10:30 I got a text message asking if I was still awake (uh, duh, that's early) and if I would want some company the next day. Always up for visits, especially when I don't have a for sure shift or school, I said I would love to see them. I did have a call-in but if they used me I would still be done by the time they'd get into town. Thursday afternoon Mike and Lauren arrived and we were able to catch up over lunch at Johnny Rockets. I love the nickel jukeboxes.

I gave them the 5 minute tour of campus and we drove around town. After hitting up happy hour at Sonic that is. Mmmm...strawberry limeade. While driving around we went hunting for Rabobank arena and the ballpark that the Bakersfield Blaze play at. The Blaze are one of the Texas Ranger's minor league teams. Fun fact: Mike Piazza played for the Blaze when it was a feeder team for the Dodgers. We found the arena (mainly do to my amazing skills at following arrows on signs) along with quite a few cool looking buildings in what is obviously classic Bakersfield. Despite three of us in the car we (ok, I) managed to get lost and ended up finding a creative route home.

We hung out for a while back at my apartment and got directions to the ballpark to drive over to Thirsty Thursday. On the way we took a few trips around the round-a-bout because I forgot the next step in the directions. Whee! The Blaze have various promotions to up attendance and Thursday nights they offer $1 drinks (cheap beer and soda) through the fifth inning. Good idea considering that there are two colleges in town. The game was good, lots of big hits and the Blaze won 6-5. While Mike was really into the game Lauren and I got really into picking out the hot guys. (#s 5, 6, 18, and 32)

After the game we went over to BJ's Brewhouse for dinner. Mike suggested it early in the day because he wanted to try the root beer that they brew. Which, if you were wondering, is delish! This time I managed to leave room for dessert so Lauren and I shared a pizookie. I have no words to describe just how amazing this dessert is. As yummy as it sounds, it is even better. A fresh baked giant cookie with two scoops of ice cream stacked on top. Ah-mae-zing!


By the time we finished dinner it was pretty late (we got to BJ's a little after 10) so Lauren and Mike stayed over rather than drive back that night. This sofa couch has gotten a lot of use. Friday morning I woke up early to see if they were using my call-in that morning. I was hoping that they wouldn't so that I would not have to kick Mike and Lauren out early. Luckily, they did not end up needing to use my call-in. That morning we decided to go by the mall, because I never get over to the mall. Ha. After checking out the more exciting stores we had a quick lunch before Mike and Lauren had to leave to make home in time for league bowling. Which meant that I had most of my day to make flashcards for my class. Fun.
Loves.

0 comments: