Sunday, May 10, 2009

Chickens & Kool-Aid

Last Wednesday my social psychology class participated in a flashmob. A flashmob is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual action for a brief time, then quickly disperse. For our flashmob we walked down to the Marketplace (where my Vons is) and at exactly 3:30 we all walked around the fountain twice while clucking and flapping our "wings" like chickens. After our second lap we all layed eggs then dispersed. It was so silly and fun that I kept giggling the entire time. It's surprisingly easy to cluck while giggling. When we got to the Marketplace there were some kids playing around the fountain while their moms watched from a few benches in the shade. When we started our chicken act the moms kind of got worried and I could hear them calling over their kids, "come stand by mommy!"

I was one of the first few people to start the flashmob and once more of the class got going as chickens the moms seemed less concerned and more confused as to why we were acting like chickens. The older kids were looking at us like we lost our minds and the younger kids we entertained by our actions. About halfway through our first lap a guy who was having lunch with his buddies jumped over a hedge to join in with us. He joined in at the end of one of the two mini-congaish lines and was so into it that I lost control of my giggles. He was doing a chicken head bob and flapping in the most exaggerated way. We all were talking about it afterwards, he totally rocked. After we layed our eggs we dispersed and I happened to walk by where the kids were standing and I heard one of the younger ones say to her friend, "I wonder why they weren't cows..." As if the flashmob hadn't been funny enough already.

I am hoping to get some video or photos because I sadly forgot to grab my camera and left it on the back of the couch. Here is a flashmob that was performed in London that also has a chicken theme.



When school was over for me I was approached by two 13ish year old boys just as I was leaving the building. They asked me if I would be willing to participating in a quick survey about spirituality. I wasn't in a hurry to get home so I agreed though I soon wished that I hadn't. Turns out that it wasn't quick, wasn't a real survey, and wasn't about spirituality. It was about Religion.

Them, first question: What's your religion?
Me: I consider myself spiritual, not religious.
Them: So you believe in God then?
Me: Um, (wondering how I said anything about God in those 6 words) I believe that there is some sort of higher being.
Them: Who is Jesus?
Me: Well according to what I learned growing up...[enter cliff notes version of Jesus here] (I so wanted to say he's some kid I went to High School with, not sure what he's up to now though)
...Here's where it gets fun...
Them: Are you a sinner?
Me: Sure. (long pause, they start to shift away from me) There are lots of things that are considered "sins". Heck, little white lies about loving someone's new shoes are lies, thus sins.
Them: Do you believe in Heaven and Hell?
Me: Well I don't believe that death is the end. I believe that our souls go somewhere afterwards so if that means Heaven or Hell then I believe in them. (I want to come back as a cat)
Them: If you were to die now would you go to Heaven or Hell?
Me: If those are my options, Heaven.
Them: (quoting the Bible) But those who sinned don't go to Heaven...
Me: So?
It continues for quite some time more. Me forcing myself to be polite and censor my answers and them asking more weighted questions. Didn't want to scare the kids too much by telling them I don't think homosexuality is a sin.
Them, final question: Are you willing to die for Jesus?
Me: Holy crap! They've got kool-aid!

0 comments: