Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Random Things Amuse Me

Take for example a lady in the car next to me at the red light while I was driving to the bank this afternoon: she had her right hand at about 10 o’clock on the steering wheel.  I found this odd.  Then I thought that maybe she was preparing to turn right at the light so she had “assumed the position” but then I thought it was silly that she’d be sitting like that three cars back from the crosswalk line.  Turns out, she didn’t turn when the light turned green.  She just drives that way!  I would think that her shoulder would get sore or tired.  Hopefully she has a short commute.

Last night I was thinking about answering machine messages.  Not the ones that people leave for you, requesting you to call back, but the ones you leave asking people to leave said message.  Follow?  ;)  It seems that fewer people are leaving fun prompts, there’s lots of “hey, I’m at work or school so leave me a message…” or the automated “no one is available to take your call…” and I miss enjoying silly little ditties when my call goes unanswered.  We used to have some really, really good ones at Christmas.  One year Dad sang his version of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire) which was hilarious and a fan favorite.  I’m pretty sure we got an unusually large number of phone calls that year once word got out of the genius lyrics such as: “Jack Frost roasting on an open fire”.

Then there was the time that I was house sitting for some of our friends in the Sacramento area and I changed their answering machine message.  They had a cool machine that allows the caller to press ‘1’ for one person, ‘2’ for another, etc.  So I re-recorded the prompts for the first two people as they were previously worded then for person three I changed it from his name to something special.  I changed it so the machine said that the caller should press ‘3’ to leave a message for “the northern California chapter of the Los Angeles Lakers ultimate fan club”.  Muhahahahahaha.  See Sacramento is home to the Kings and they are not fans of the Lakers up there, at all.

So I was thinking, what would I put on my answering machine if I were to change it?  I currently have the standard computer voice playing role of receptionist.  Late last night I came up with this one:

“Knock knock…

River…

Reversing truck goes”

*BEEP*

Hehehehehehe!  Get it?  They beep and you leave the message after the beep so I just let the answering machine beep finish the punch line!  And I’m sure you all want to use this now, go right ahead, it’s cool.  It’s too good not to share.  :)

What’s your favorite fun answering machine message?

Loves.

0 comments: