Friday, January 16, 2009

Calling At The Wrong Door

Shortly before the new year I made a new friend. I wasn't looking to form any sort of bond at the time. In fact, I would have preferred to have had no interruptions at the time we met, but he insisted on getting my attention. So I put aside my book, climbed out of bed and peered out onto my patio. Starring back at me were bright, hazel eyes and once I turned on the patio light I saw that he also had orange hair and cute white whiskers.

That's how I met Jack (I have no idea what his name is, but he looks like a Jack and is a wanderer) shortly after midnight on a cold night. I told him he had the wrong door and that unlike Motel 6 I was not leaving the light on for him. He didn't seem to care and still wanted to come in out of the cold. I allowed him to come in with the warning that he couldn't stay but only warm up his toes, ears, and nose. He was a very polite house guest, opting to sit on my lap and purr rather than snoop through my stuff. I let Jack stay for about fifteen minutes and then sent him on his way. About an hour later I heard him at my door asking to come back in with his kitteny meow (funny because he is a big cat and did I mention has 6 toes?!). I had already turned out the light by then so I just tried to lay low. Kind of like what you do on Halloween when you run out of candy. He ended up leaving and I didn't see him again.


Until yesterday that is. I had just finished my lunch and happened to look out my front window only to see that cute little orange boy trotting across the parking lot towards my building. I went out to my patio to greet him if he decided to stop by and because I really needed to sweep off the patio. And yes, he did come say hello and stayed nearby to supervise my sweeping skills.

0 comments: