Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A Pain In The...

When I went down to the valley for my birthday weekend I did not get a chance to see a couple of my friends. So last Sunday I drove down to see them on my days off, Monday and Tuesday. Though sadly that did not go as planned...

Early Monday afternoon my back spasmed and it felt like my lower back was being squeezed like one of those stress balls. I had to hold onto the door jam to prevent myself from falling when my knees started to buckle. I made my way to the ground when I feared that I would very possibly go down against my will. After laying in the middle of the doorway for a while Mom helped me get onto my hands and knees. I couldn't even push myself up off the ground. I totally felt like a beached whale. That is, I related to the beached part, not so much the whale part. Once I was "up", I crawled to the living room so that I could lay on my back with my feet up on the couch. While I was in a lot of pain, I was luckily still able to find humor in the situation. If I was not able to laugh about the situation and the pain, and even laughing hurt, my three days living on the living room floor would have been miserable. Not that I would ever want to repeat that experience.

Thursday I was still hurting so Mom drove me to Urgent Care--I had a death grip on the door handle the whole way, especially on the bumps. The doctor said that I strained my muscle and now I am taking lots of ibuprofen and muscle relaxants. They definitely make my back feel better but I am ready to be all better without taking five pills a day.

I had to miss four days of work as a result of my strain, three of those days because I was still in the valley and not yet able to travel and the fourth because it was a very physically intensive shift. Today I went to work for a three hour shift which was challenging and I was just working register. Because of this and the fact that we have got a lot of big inventory projects going on I will not be going back to work until I have a doctor's note clearing me for work. I like that I will be able to relax my back more and move around only as much as is comfortable. But at the same time I am not thrilled about having these days off without being able to do anything too physical or strenuous. I want to keep moving but I don't want to put too much stress on my back so I am thinking that the pool would be a good place to walk.

Since it's hard to sit at the computer for very long I won't be posting until I feel better but just wanted to let you know what's up.
Loves.

0 comments: