Saturday, August 1, 2009

What Happened to Comedy?

On my Yahoo homepage there was a link to a slide show of the "funniest people working in the movies". Since I love movies, and especially comedies, I thought that I'd check out the list. I wasn't surprised to see certain names on there (Judd Apatow is huge now, though I'm not a fan of his films) but overall I don't find the list a very funny group. Sure Kristen Wiig has been in some good SNL (considering the new standard of "good" for SNL) skits, but she is always some variation of the same character. Funny the first time, not so much every time after that. Same story for many other people on that list. Cough, Will Ferrell, cough. It's my opinion, no need to throw tomatoes.



And apparently women aren't nearly as funny as men. There are only four comediennes on the list. Maybe that's because the majority of the comedians on the list are "funny" because of penis jokes. I'm no prude but since when did crass become the only thing that is hilarious? How about witty remarks and outrageous situations? Even good innuendos or double entendres are used less, like it's too much work to be clever so the solution is to be lazy and just say the most outrageous and shocking thing that comes to mind. I'm so sick of comedies being rated "R", like that makes them better. Rant over. I'm going to go watch a classic comedy.
Loves.

In case you were wondering, I think nine of the twenty-five people on that list are funny. And I would likely see a movie based on the actor for six of those nine.

1 comments:

Jaslynn said...

I totally agree- skip Funny People, there are few funny parts, many many penis jokes, and after and hour and a half you still have an hour to go. Although, it was fun seeing Eric Bana in this kind of role. Have fun =)