Friday, April 30, 2010

Oh No They Say He’s Got To Go, Go, Go Godzilla

I think that spring is my new favorite season.  I used to love summer but since I’ve moved to the gateway to hell I’ve changed my mind.  Spring is green and warm (but not crazy hot) and just as good as a Santa Barbara summer.

After a few weird weather days (clouds, wind, night rain) the weather has gotten warmer and this week two moths have made their way into the apartment.  I’m expecting many more this spring and summer, something I’m not terribly excited about, but they’re not hard to take care of.  In fact, it’s really easy now.

Godzilla watch your giant scaly back, Dixie, make that Dixilla, is on the case.  Mothra and Mothra Jr. went down!

Mothra2

The first moth was flying around the living room which made the capture quite the challenge for Dixie though she didn’t let that deter her from jumping over the couch in one giant running leap while tracking it.  After a while we lost it when it tried to fly through my head and I showed of my cat-like reflexes by quickly ducking.

A few hours later I found it hiding in the bathroom so I called Dixie over and closed us in.  I had the flyswatter but Dixie had so much fun hunting the moth earlier that I though I’d let her try to catch it.  Turns out that for having been a “fuller” cat she’s really agile!  (She’s lost weight since I’ve taken her in, probably because I don’t allow her to eat off my plate, and is now 12 pounds.)  This cat can jump and move super fast.  There was a point where she was standing on the edge of the sink when the moth tried to fly over her.  She leapt into the air, clapped the moth between her front two paws, then when she came down to land her one foot missed the edge of the sink so she released Mothra to spot her landing with her front feet.  I was totally expecting her to fall but very impressed by the catch even if she didn’t land.  She did catch and play with the moth a bit before I removed it.  I wish that I’d had my camera to try to catch some video, maybe next time.

Then last night I heard Dixie scratching about and moving stuff so I got up to investigate.  She had found another (slightly smaller) moth, Mothra Jr.  This one was less exciting, it either couldn’t or wouldn’t fly so it was trying to walk away and hide.  It was dead shortly after I realized what Dixie was up to behind my VCR (yes, I still have one!) so he got to join his buddy from two nights earlier.  Hopefully this won’t become a very regular event, not that Dixie would mind.  Ha!

Loves.

0 comments: