Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring Quarter

I have finally received my second, and final, textbook for this quarter. I ordered it during the first week of classes and it arrived mid week three. Luckily we didn't have a lot that I needed to read but this does allow me to finally do the reading and make my study flash cards.

This quarter I am only taking 10 units. Generally I take 12-15 units but I couldn't find an additional class that fit my needs and schedule. Though I think that it'll work out well since my two classes are a bit more demanding on my brain. I am taking Research Methods II and Social Psychology.

Last quarter I took Research Methods I and we focused on when we'd use specific statistical analysis and trying to understand what all the data is about. This quarter we are focusing more on putting into action the statistical analysis and conducting research. It's a challenging class but I find it to be fun at times as well. I like that we have already done three experiments. First experiment we measured reaction time using a ruler. Second experiment we compared speed and accuracy from dominant hand and non dominant hand on a particular task. Third experiment we measured the Stroop effect. Since I am enjoying the experiment factor of the class I am thinking about trying to work on some of the research that the professors are doing in either social or behavioral psychology. In order to get school credit for aiding in the research I'll have to wait a quarter. I won't dump my long term plan of being a practicing psychologist in order to be a career researcher because I don't want to feel the pressure of "publish or perish".

0 comments: