Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Arrival of Dad

The weekend of February 20th was great! Dad was planning on coming up/over on Friday night for a visit and we were going to go check out the opening-weekend-tournament-premiere-season-event for CSUB's baseball program. (More about that later.) But one thing that I was extra excited about in addition to seeing Dad and the delivery of some of Grandma's chili verde was the replacing of my haunted, hand-me-down bed by a brand spankin' new bed! For those of you that did not know, my previous bed was haunted. It made noises that only a ghost or lost soul trapped inside a spring filled box of despair would make. For about a week before Dad visited I drove around town looking for places at which I could take a mid-day nap. I only got lost once, finding myself on a highway that I didn't know existed, but was able to find my way back home without much trouble.

Thursday afternoon I was at the grocery store trying to decide what I was going to make Dad and I for dinner Friday night and couldn't make up my mind between lemon chicken stir fry or fajitas. So I decided to call Dad and ask him if he had a preference, being about as decisive as I am, he said that he'd be happy with either and would let me decide. Very helpful when I am standing in the produce aisle and not sure which veggies I will need! Dad said that he was on his way to Lompoc to run a few errands and most likely would lose his signal so would call me back once he got there. (Note to any law enforcement: I can neither confirm nor deny if he was or was not using a hands-free phone as the law states, I am only stating that we were speaking to each other.) While I was checking tortilla prices Dad drove through a dead zone and left me on my own to make the dinner decision. I'm telling you deciding on a mattress was nearly easier! On my way home Dad called me back and told me to wait on my dinner that night until he spoke with Mom and Becca about their dinner so that we could coordinate and not mess up any possible plans. He also told me that he'd call me back in about two and a half hours so I'd have plenty of time to hit the gym and shower before he'd call me with the dinner update.

I still had my hair wrapped in my towel when Dad called me to make sure that I was home and out of the shower because he was just pulling into the neighborhood. He told me he would call me back in a few once he talked to Mom and Becca about dinner. Moments later he called me back to let me know that he was on his own for dinner because Mom and Becca weren't home (they were in Santa Maria checking on a car for Becca). Shortly before I noticed the lights of a car pull up outside and peered out the window to see what I thought was a familiar car. I then was a bit suspicious and peered out my door's peep-hole only to see a very familiar looking guy talking on a cell phone on the sidewalk outside my door. So just as Dad was about to say something about possibly having pizza for dinner I ripped open my front door to reveal that he was surprising me by showing up a day early! I was so excited and very surprised to see him standing there that I very loudly exclaimed something along the lines of "OhmygodIcan'tbelieveyou'rehereearly!!!" I'm pretty sure my response surprised my new neighbors or at least their dog.

Since I am trying not to write epic essays I will put a To Be Continued...here. Plus Dad says that if it's too long people will get bored and not read it. Which I totally found ridiculous, my gibberish is riveting! I then informed him that I have the power, much like John Candy in Delirious, whatever I write is what happens. Muhahahaha! So stay tuned you never know what twists may turn!
Loves!

0 comments: